The Golden Heart and RITA nominees were announced last week with very interesting results; some categories have a ton of nominees, others not so many. This is all a result of qualification and scoring changes RWA put into place which has a lot of authors in the romance industry buzzing. I think next year there will be changes to balance out the unintended consequences of changing so much at once. I'm confident and hopeful. We'll see!
This was more of a down week for me since I was recovering from my massive edits over the past few months, and I needed to do some prep work for my current WIP.
I got my hands on conference recordings from RWA Nationals last time they were in NYC (my chapter has a mobile library with writing resources we can check out), and that has been really cool to listen to in place of an audiobook. I've already incorporated some of the writing strategies this week.
Last Week's goals:
- Review critique group comments on SUNSET SUMMER - done
- Brainstorm via email with critique group on plot points for SUNSET SUMMER - done
- Outline ending chapters of SUNSET SUMMER - not complete
- Revise 2-3 chapters of SUNSET SUMMER - revised one chapter
- More planning for A to Z challenge posts - done
After my husband read my polished revision of AMELIA, he said he wanted to read my newest draft, which I reminded him is in a very early state. He read it pretty quickly, and had several great ideas for how to expand the end of the story and the ending conflict. I'm grateful he picked up on certain themes I wasn't entirely sure what to do with. His feedback plus some high level stuff from my critique group will help me dive back in to this project!
This Week's Goals:
- Outline ending chapters for SUNSET SUMMER
- Write 2-4 new chapters
- Plan out next draft issues, factors to add in, etc.
- Complete A to Z blog posts for April
For the rest of you in spring bootcamp, how are you doing?